Pages

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

LA from FLA

I returned from my third Residency at Antioch University in Los Angeles not quite two months ago. While there, I did a little exploring, this time not lost but deliberately driving. Here are a few images from my explorations.

One of the most intriguing sights from the windows of the AULA campus is Holy Cross Cemetery, a huge expanse of rolling green, topped with a triptych-style mortuary and dozens of religious statuary. This is a Catholic cemetery and burial place for a number of Hollywood (and elsewhere) celebrities including Loretta Young (near the Pieta), Fred MacMurray(mauseleum), Vince Edwards (Dr. Ben Casey), Bing Crosby, Ray Bolger (the Oz Scarecrow), Sharon Tate, Lawrence Welk and many others.

The reproduction of the Pieta caught my attention. So I took lots of pictures. Here are a few.












Then there were the trees. I still am not sure what species (shame on me) but I call them "bleeding trees," a designator that seems especially apt for their location in the cemetery.





Holy Cross is a high point, looking out onto a dip, not quite a valley, in which LA county stretches. Here are a few views of that perspective.








No comments: