Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2005

toot toot & more news

I got some pleasing news in yesterday's email from Cynthia Reynolds. She's accepted my poem, The Two Fridas, in the July 2005 edition of her literary journal, kaleidowhirl.

Nearer to home, I've been invited to read poetry at the Poetry Cafe, a monthly event convened by Lucille McCauley, who is a Kalliope foremother, says my buddy Jan Bevan, who was involved with the collective and who introduced me to Lucille back in March. This could be billed as a "return engagement" for me. A few months ago, Jan was the featured reader and I was invited to read as a guest but only had time for one poem.

Next weekend, I'm heading for a full day of writerly stuff at the Florida First Coast Writers Festivalat Jacksonville Beach. This year, the event coordinators have boosted their poetry workshops, improving from prior festival workshops in which poetry was treated like the lost bastard. Still, its a double-edged blade, since I'll be up way earlier than I want on a Saturday to hear William Slaughter's take on Poetry on the World Wide Web. Slaughter heads the English grad studies department at UNF. He puts out Mudlark - probably a pioneer among ezines. After Slaughter, I'll take in Sophie Wadsworth's workshop, enjoy the awards luncheon and then a final festival workshop on finding my poetic voice, facilitated by Teri Grimm who, coincidentally, lists Kalliope among her credits.

Just checking the Festival site, I'm happy to see that one of my picks for the short fiction contest won: "How To Draw A Circle" by Kim Bradley. Congratulations Kim! It's a well-deserved honor! May you be much-Googled.

No comments: